The Ouachita Parish Mosquito Abatement District is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe and comfortable this summer. Below are some suggestions on how you can protect yourself. You can also download and print a checklist of places around your home which are potential breeding sites for mosquitoes. Please check around your home, your apartment, or your place of business to eliminate as many of these sites as possible. Your cooperation will lessen the chances of anyone contracting West Nile virus this coming summer.
Quick list for personal safety:
• Try to limit outdoor activities after dark as much as possible.
• If you must be outside at night, wear loose fitting, light weight clothing; i.e., long sleeve shirts and long pants.
• Purchase and use a good mosquito repellent. Preferably one containing either DEET, Picaridin, or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus. Follow directions on package.
• Do not put repellents on hands or faces of small children.
• Check screens on windows and doors for damage and repair as necessary.
Now is the time for every citizen of Ouachita Parish to do their part in the fight against encephalitis. It is very likely that there are places around your home where mosquitoes can breed. The mosquito which transmits West Nile virus, Culex quinquefasciatus, is the primary vector. Most of our efforts will be directed toward controlling this species. However, these same efforts will also help to control other species.