Cheniere Lake (pronounced "Sheny") is the largest lake in Ouachita Parish, which covers approximately 3600 surface acres at pool stage, and was impounded in 1946. Cheniere Lake is operated by the Ouachita Parish Police Jury. The lake is located about 3 miles SW of West Monroe, Louisiana (Well Road Exit, then South). Cheniere is studded with tall Spanish moss laden Cypress trees and towering Tupelo Gum trees through which boat/canoe trails have been cut. Its many varieties of Louisiana wildlife include fish, birds, beaver, otter, nutria, turtles and alligators. Several spring fed streams flow into the lake and it is relatively free of unnatural pollutants. Cheniere Lake is known for its natural scenic beauty.
• Fishing - You may fish from the bank or launch from one of seven ramps for fishing on the lake. Some varieties of fish to be found in the lake are Largemouth Bass, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Redear and other sunfishes.
• Hunting - Due to the necessary drawdown of the lake to facilitate repairs to the dam/roadbed and the replacement of the bridge/spillway, duck hunting will not be permitted for the 2016 / 2017 season.
• Picnicking - There are covered pavilions for rent in scenic locations having electricity, kitchen area and water. Fee is $75.00/$30.00 a day.
• RV Park - There are 8 RV sites and 2 tent sites overlooking the lake with electricity, water and dump station. Handicap accessible. Fee is $12.00/night, $10.00/night for Sr. Citizens. Bathhouse is air-conditioned and handicap accessible. Washer and dryer also available.
• Playgrounds - Several playgrounds are located close to picnic pavilions. Volleyball and baseball field.
• Lodge - Large rustic building for parties, reunions, weddings/receptions and meetings. Accommodates approximately 100 people, kitchen has refrigerator, stove, ice machine, soft drink machine, coffeepot. A barbecue grill is available. Large fireplace with wood supplied. Available for rent daily for $375.00 plus security deposit. For reservations call (318) 387-2383 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.